In our previous article How to craft a killer personal brand statement, we shared the formula to construct a personal brand statement. So now we have the basics, what are the magical touches that could make your personal brand statement stand out from your competitors?
What are the top tips that will help yours stand out from the crowd?
Start by sitting down and listing your key skills, attributes and experience. Which stand out? Which are likely to matter most to your future boss? How can you combine them to best effect in a statement formula?
- Think of someone you know with similar experience and goals to you. Does your statement sound just like theirs? What can you change to make yours more distinctive?
- Remember that every word in your statement has to earn its place. There’s no room for waffle, or repetition, or ambiguity. Keep working it till it’s as pithy as a good newspaper headline.
- Remember, too, what your statement isn’t: It’s not your mission statement for life, a statement of your dream job, or a personal mantra. Keep it business-like and professional, and avoid too much quirkiness or blue-sky thinking.
- Keep calm and avoid the hype. Avoid breathless phrases such as ‘unbelievably talented’ or ‘fiendishly intelligent’, or claiming to have dreamt of being an actuary since you were a child…
- Practise your statement on family friends. Does it make sense out of context? Does it flow smoothly or do you trip up on certain words or phrases? Edit and polish till you have something that feels really easy and natural to say.
- Try to avoid clichéd words and phrases like ‘passionate’, ‘results-driven’, ‘self-motivated and energetic’, ‘highly organised’ and ‘detail-oriented’. These tend to get overlooked as they’re quite generic and rather over-used. Instead, go for phrases that add value and concrete detail e.g. ‘Recent MBA with…’ or ‘Python-fluent developer with…’ or ‘Treasury-qualified financial officer with…’
Here’s a few more examples to help inspire you to craft your very own killer brand statement…
- International digital marketing specialist who’s launched over 20 websites in 10 languages across 12 countries. Now looking for an exciting opportunity to combine my technical and creative marketing capabilities, ideally in the e-commerce or B2B space.
- From DM to apps, I’m a seasoned comms expert who doesn’t need an agency to do all her creative thinking for her, and have a track record of delivering outstanding campaign ROI. Looking to make a difference for a company that really wants to tell its unique story in a memorable and impactful way.
- Business developer extraordinaire for the Asia Pacific healthcare space, who’s all about helping to enable new models of integrated and coordinated care. Looking for a provider who shares my vision of a society where an individual will receive personalised care which incorporates the different dimensions that are central to an individual's wellness.
- Frequently headhunted international trade consultant and tech sector specialist with 8 years’ experience in tech policy and international business development and strategy in the UK, US and New Zealand. Ready for a new challenge as a C-Level commercial advisor to a high-growth tech company.
- I’ve hired them all – now I’ll help you keep them! Talent acquisition and HR specialist who’s opened country offices and nurtured teams for some of Europe’s top professional recruiters. Now interested in a role for an ambitious global player that’s focused on employer brand development and retention strategy.
Read our related articles on winning the dream job with your personal brand statement:
How to craft a killer personal brand statement
How to use your personal brand statement effectively to differentiate yourselves