Corporate Development Manager, Retail Strategy APAC
Location Hong Kong
Consultant Andrew Blake
Date posted 28 June 201841 Connaught Road Central Hong Kong Robert Walters Hong Kong
This retail group’s strategic intent is to expand its retail presence across the Asia Pacific region, both through 'bricks & mortar' stores and through an e-commerce / digital presence. The aim of this position is to enable the group to fully understand the unique market dynamics of each locale, and the business models of target companies.
The Corporate Development Manager, Retail Strategy APAC will use their knowledge to guide investments that will shape the group’s vision and global strategy. The core purpose of this position is to establish and maintain a detailed understanding of this specific retail category across multiple countries around the region.
The Corporate Development Manager, Retail Strategy APAC will be expected to define, develop and present to the business optimum solutions for market entry, and ultimately the deployment of retail and brand assets in ways that will underpin strategic investments by creating sustainably profitable models that will be differentiated from competitors.
- With support from the wider Strategy team, lead day-to-day management of relationships with target company teams, in particular to progress commercial due diligence
- Support development of strategic vision for investments opportunities, in partnership with internal stakeholders and target teams
- Develop and manage relationships with external agencies, trade bodies, government departments to support group activities and vision
- Lead necessary research and analysis to build understanding of countries, channels, consumers and targets. Develop the necessary networks for macro market intelligence collection
- This role operates at the interface between the group and external stakeholders, and the job holder must be able to demonstrate excellent inter-personal skills to act as the company’s representative
- Additionally, the role interfaces with multiple parts of the organisation, and the job holder must be comfortable in forming new relationships and working across teams
- Frequent interaction is required with senior executive stakeholders, and the job holder must be able to perform with maturity and gravitas as required
- Strong understanding of retail, consumer dynamics, brand management and retail opportunities
- Graduate degree with 5 - 7 years relevant experience iin consulting / retail / digital / FMCG
- Ability to produce robust, accurate and insightful analysis
- Ability to think strategically and thereby contribute to overall APAC strategy development
- Apply strategic thinking into grounded business development
- Capability to be leader of projects and initiatives
- Highly credible representative of the group for target companies and operational colleagues
- Fluency in the English language is essential. Other languages would be a plus
- Must be available to travel frequently within the region, and occasionally globally